Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I think that most are missing a major point. Most people that get issued a pistol in the service branches are in support roles and very, very minimally trained.

For guys who actually go in harms way intentionally (infantry, etc), I would prefer to see something along the lines of a polymer, high capacity auto with unit level armorer support for everything, including frame replacement. NO hand fitted parts.

The HK45 and HK45C are getting a lot of attention right now. In fact I do know of one navy unit that is fielding the C model.

As far as service wide issue, who knows. I would like to see a Glock in 9mm or 45 acp, but there are so many piss poor pistol shooters and grossly irresponsible service members currently in the system, that any gun that lacked a traditional external safety would be a poor choice for the majority of service people.

There is a reason why even in Iraq the vast majority of soldiers are not allowed to have any live ammunition on them or in their weapons, while on base, which fortunately 90% will never leave a base when deployed. I cannot tell you how many times in a single day I have had some soldier point their weapon at me while at a PX or DFAC.

Most have useless "coolguy" 3 point slings that have the gun held horizontally. They muzzle sweep everyone on a constant basis. The majority of their NCOs could care less. Gun handling skills are not stressed at all for the most part.

I got a little off topic there, sorry.

No, you were/are SQUARELY on topic.