Originally Posted by jorgeI
Kevin: The M4 has a spotty record in both Iraq and A-stan. With the shorter barrel and corresponding slower MV, it really takes multiple hits to anchor. That is why the Army was looking at the 6.8. Same for the M9. As I said before, it didn't take long for the main Navy armory and Crane, In to deplete the 1911 inventory. We're broke so we fight with what we have. jorge
The M4's record is a bit spotty, but big Army isn't looking at different cartridges. The 6.8 wasn't a regular military project, it was developed by some guys in special forces, and it was never in contention or consideration for adoption over the 5.56, it was being considered potentially in special ops. Personally, I really like the 6.8, but the Army isnt going to be changing frome the 5.56 any time soon. Especially now that they're using high performance hollow point ammunition and no one's complaining just yet. If that trend continues and they are allowed to continue using the expanding ammo, then the 5.56 will be around for a LONG time.

The Marines are using ammo with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet in small quanities; a couple million rounds have been purchased. I'm not sure if they have been fielded as a general issue cartridge yet, but the lawyers say it's legal. If they begin using this bullet, then the effectiveness (as we know through hunting) will go up.