Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
... the M9s, 1911s and Glocks have all been used quite effectively in our recent ongoing World War.

Mackay:

That's what got me thinking about this. Just about everyone agrees that these pistols are being used quite effectively in the middle east, but under what circumstances?

We've discussed how most of our guys issued with a pistol are in support services, but at the other end of the spectrum, we've got, say, special ops guys using them for certain assignments.

That got me wondering. Pick a few scenarios. An Afghani police officer goes Taliban on you and all you have to hand is a pistol. Another scenario: a special ops team might use their pistols on a prisoner snatch because they need to keep one hand free while there's shooting going on.

I wonder if anyone is keeping track of ... for lack of a better word ... effectiveness under conditions of offense (spec ops scenario) and defense (treacherous Afghani police officer) and such.

Believe me, if I had an opinion on this, I'd share it, but the only things I know about combat are what combat veterans tell me.

- Tom