Originally Posted by Eremicus
... And that brings us to the 5.7 FN. With the right ammo, it will shoot through some, perhaps most battlefield body armor. That right there means it's got something special.

Have any of our adversaries been equipped with body armor? Ever? Not to say that they won't in the future should we get embroiled with, for example, a ChiCom satelite nation. But for now, has this been a problem for our military? It could be, but for the life of me, I can't think of a situation where we weren't the only ones wearing flack jackets--(at least from Viet Nam on).
Originally Posted by Ermicus
...Then you can add that it kills better than the standard hardball 9mm ammo. Even with non expanding bullets...
Huh??? I'd be curious to see the data on that one. The 5.7 replicates in pistol length barrels a .22 mag rim fire in rifle length barrels (approx. 30gr @ 2150 fps). That "kills better" than a 9mm.?? I'm absolutely NOT a 9mm fan, but the 5.7 seems to be going in the wrong direction IMO. Ermicus, is there any data or anecdotal evidence (other than the Ft. Hood shooting) to validate the claim to "kill better" than a 9mm?

Last edited by gmoats; 02/28/11.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.