Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've never shot an actual Browning A5, but last summer grandpa traded me a bucket of tomatoes for a Savage copy that he got as payment for auctioning an estate sale. Took it home and shot 5 clays off the back porch. The damned ported poly-choke liked to have deafened me, but I hit the clays.

A long time ago, I was traveling back from a doctor's appointment in San Francisco. I stopped into a little pawn shop in a small town that occasionaly had guns. I walked in and something on the gun rack caught my eye, so I asked to see it. It turned out to be a Savage version of the A5........fully factory engraved with game scenes and really beautiful wood. The gun wasn't in the greatest shape ever (it had been hunted with a lot), but it was still a beautiful gun. It had a polychoke though, and needed to be reblued and refinished. I thought, "I've already got plenty of shotguns that I hardly shoot." So I handed it back to the owner and resumed my trip home. A day or two later, I thought "Damn, I should have bought that." A month or two later, I was down in that area again, and I stopped in specificly to buy the gun. Turns out the shop owners had retired and closed down the shop.

They were asking $75 for the gun, and said they'd take $50 as it had been there for years. Not one of my brightest moments, that's for certain.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan