When I was a teenager, a friend and I were shooting our guns in the bottom dip of a gravel road. I was shooting a .22 automatic pistol. I told my friend to watch because I was going to ricochet a few bullets off the gravel for grins and fun.

After the second or third ricochet a car appeared from the direction I was shooting. It was moving very slow. As it rolled closer I would see a bullet hole in the windshield right in front of the driver. I could see the driver's face and a few drops of blood were trickling down his forehead.

I can tell you a lot of things went through my mind right then, and none of them were good. The car stopped next to me and the driver was grinning. (I thought at least the man is going to die happy.) He asked us how we were doing, and what guns we were shooting, etc. As I talked to him I saw the "bullet hole" in the windshield was a rock chip instead. He had scratched at a scab on his forehead and it started to bleed. My worst fears were unfounded, but a Hollywood producer couldn't have lined up everything as precise to an actual shooting.

I lost about ten years from my lifespan that fateful day, but I never again shot down a road. Thank you Lord for protecting fools and stupid teenagers with guns.