I don't know that I will ever get to go to Africa but I live in Alaska with ample opportunity to put a rifle like this to work. I've no doubt that it would be fair medicine for Cape Buffalo. John Taylor spoke very well of the 450/400 and the good Colonel was, I believe, duplicating that round in his development of the 400 Whelen. Elmer Keith used one for 11 years and spoke glowingly of it.

Townsend Whelen has long been a hero of mine in the ranks of the gun writers of old. I think sometimes he gets overlooked for his contribution to the gun writing craft. I love to sit down with his books and always seem to glean something from them no matter how often I peruse them.

I had actually hoped to build this rifle on a Sedgley Springfield that was converted to left handed. It was a 30-06 and had had some considerable use. I was not able to secure it as I was out bid in the auction. Shortly after that I stumbled on to this model 70 and didn't hesitate. While the lefty Sedgley would have been quite a coup for a portsider like me, I think I will be just as happy with the model 70.

One more shift tonight for this week and I am on to my week off. Though we have company for the week I hope to sneak away for a little time at the reloading press for some case forming and perhaps even an afternoon at the range to break in the new barrel and fire form a few cases.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.