Snuck away for another trip to the range today. Probably my last one till after the hunting seasons are over. I remembered both halves of the chronograph today. I tried a few loads for velocity that had shot well the other day. For the most part the loads all ran pretty close to the data I was working from.

I shot some Hornady 300 grain flat points with 61 grains of 3031. That load had shot well during break in. Good group and 2310 for velocity. The data I loaded from shows 2312. I ran the same load with the Hornady SP's and came up with 2364. I tried a load of 57 grains of H4895 and came up with 2321. The load data I have shows 2543 with 60 grain of of H4895 so 57 is right in the ball park of where it should be. I checked a load of 50 grains of 4198 behind both bullets and came up with 2230 for the SP's and 2203 for the FP's. The data indicates 2198.

The Barnes 300 grain TSX looked good at 60 grains of 3031 but only came up to 2190. With 58 grains it ran 2121 and 59 was 2151.

Working off some data for the Swift 350 grain A frame with 58, 59 and 60 grains of 4064 I tried the same charge with the Hawk 350 grain. Velocities ran 2033, 2078, and 2084 respectively and accuracy was nothing to write home about.

The 400 grain Woodleighs were a surprise. The data I had showed loads of 62-64 grains of H4895 and velocities from 2567 to 2690. I really have no desire to stand behind this eight and a half pound gun with 400 grainers running 2690. I did try 56, 57 and 58 grains and while the 56 and 58 grain loads ran 2301 and 2353 the 57 grain load ran 2154. Hmmm. The 56 grain load shot very well. The 57 grain load showed 204 fps of extreme spread with two shots ~100fps slower than average and two shots ~100fps faster. The others were very consistent. The brass is LC Match of different years but all are within 2-3 grains of each other in weight.

As for accuracy I turned in some good groups but overall I believe the full length bedding I did is not helping. I think I will free float the barrel and try again with some of the loads.

When it comes to recoil I could shoot the 300 grain bullets pretty much all day. While their recoil is noticeable, it is not at all bad. The 350's weren't bad but then velocities were fairly low. I expect with other powders and higher velocities it will be more pronounced. Now the 400 grain bullet at 2350 fps is substantial. It is very noticeably more than the 300 grainers. Let's put it this way. When you drop the hammer on a 400 grainer it leaves very little doubt in your mind that the rifle went off.

From what I am seeing I will probably spent more time working with H4895 as it seems to be showing some of the best accuracy along with some decent velocity. None of the cases have indicated any undue signs of pressure nor have I had any sticky extraction.

I have had no issues with headspace, at all. Cases go in and stop on the shoulder and when I have tried it the extractor will pop over the case head without pushing the case further into the chamber or pushing the shoulder back on the case.

I do have some feed work to do. The Hornady flat points and spitzers both want to snag a little. The TSX feeds like greased lightning. The Hawk and the Woodleighs both fed with out problems.

I am anxious to get it finished and get it hunting. Doesn't look like it will make it afield this year but it will be ready for spring bear.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.