Originally Posted by efw
The .308 or '06 would be my choices for all around North American rifle, but for whitetails alone the Bob seems perfect.

I have to admit that I look at the .308 the way I do the '06... too perfect for the rifleman who wants to justify owning other rifles... I mean seriously... if you have one of these you don't really "need" anything... of course I have 2 '06s but no .308s and do in fact intend to rectify that...

That is to say, you couldn't go wrong either way.

Going off on a slight sidebar�

For years a LH Model 700 BDL .30-06 with a Leupold 4x or 3-9 was my go to for everything. I liked the stock fit, rifle balance, everything. Things come and go and I found myself without one, although owning four other .30-06�s. Kept thinking I ought to just go back to my ol� bread and butter 700 BDL �06.

But I have a LH M700 BDL in .308, and when I look at it I think � what does an �06 really do that I can�t do with the .308? Before the newer bullets the 180 Nosler Partition at 2750 fps was what I used for everything, now a TSX 150 at 2850 or, if I want to go �heavy�, a TSX 165 at 2700 will do the exact same thing � same or slightly better trajectory out to 300, hits as hard and the .308 kicks less.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Getting older and less recoil proof, and having a nice .250 AI (aka Shorter Bob) to play with, I�d vote for the .257 Roberts. It kicks even less than a 308.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!