Originally Posted by FredWillis
Although I am not an expert in diagnosing what causes groups to start opening up, I will share what I have found. My 20 Tac and two 223's seem to carbon up and the groups start opening after 30-35 rounds. I read on Sniper Hide, that those shooters felt carbon was usually the first sign of groups getting larger. In fact, some of them think it is worse than copper.

Anyway, I find if I use Brake Cleaner after about 20-30 rounds I can hold my group size by removing the carbon. I have found on my Remington 204, PacNor barreled 20 tac and 223's do not need to be treated for copper until I have 100-150 rounds thru them. After reading some of the horror stories about coppering, I feel fortunate. I am curious if some of you have like experiences similar.

Fred,

I tried brake cleaner on a patch and it didn't seem to move much carbon, the patch was white and the Hawkeye showed about the same amount of carbon. How do you use it?

I don't have an easy solution to carbon, just a lot of work with a brush, a solvent like BoreTech Eliminator and JB bore paste. Slip 2000 was said to be great on carbon, but I'm not that impressed with it. To me it's not hard to remove copper fouling. Carbon can be another matter.

I need some good tips.

DF