Originally Posted by lovemy99

start a new post with some pictures. 99G in 22HP are not common. You might be better served to find an original front sight and butt plate.

99G is the only thing this gun matches at http://savage99.com/models.htm .

Finding a 30-30 barrel and getting it fit, especially with the expectations that it will share the forearm will be both difficult and expensive. You might be better off to just buy another.

While 1920 is well inside the interchangeable era of mass production I've always known that if I found a barrel that would screw on and be close enough to work I would be waiting for something to happen next, like waking up.

Finding a serviceable 30-30 barrel would be a trick in itself. I've always been curious how much it would cost to have one fit to the gun but really don't want to know, if you know what I mean.

Same thing with getting a barrel blank and having a Gunsmith fit it to the frame and stock. It's what I call lottery work, it's on the top of the list if I hit 7 or better figures. Meaning never.

There is an option of having the barrel bored and/or lined, collectors value means darn little to me, except for what I could get out of it in a trade, except I'm not inclined to trade because this is a family heirloom, what a perfect little Hell.

Yes, I would be better off just getting another 99, one that has never seen corrosive primer.

I'll eventually get around to posting pictures just to make sure this 99 is what I think it is.

Either way, welcome to the fire.

Thanks!

Last edited by BobInNEO; 09/08/11.

The Tea Party: An American Political Party based on a 4th grade understanding of History.