I was looking around over at zanders sporting goods website and discovered that they have posted the new for 2012 Winchester models to their catalog. All you need to do to view these items is go to gzanders.com and click on "consumer catalog." You will then see a list on the left side of the screen. Click on "rifles" and then "winchester bolt CF rifles". All of the items with a red star are new.

The rifle is described as blued/ walnut with monte carlo stock, open sights and a 25" barrel. The MSRP is $1269.99, more than the sporter but less than the super grade. There is no picture posted yet. I googled Model 70 Alaskan and found that Winchester cataloged such a model in the pre-64' days. I really hope that this rifle will have the pre-64 barrel profile that includes the saddle where the rear sight sits, just like the Cabela's 50th anniversary model. It is encouraging to see a factory rifle coming with open sights again. The three caliber choices are .30-06, .300 and .338.

Does anyone have access to an advance copy of the 2012 catalog, and if so could you shed some light on this model? I am really looking foward to seeing it, as it may be the most classic looking model 70 yet, that is if winchester does it right.

As a side note, there are sporter and featherweight models listed in .264 winchester mag. with a red star beside them. Also a super grade 75th anniversary model with super fancy wood and engraving.