I do some guiding every year in the Thorofare country and here on the ranch. Both of which are grizzly habitat. Many of the guides in the thorofare don't carry a long gun and some not even a handgun.

I carry a pre-64 '06 with 220s, and a ghost ring sight on top. I've never had to shoot a charging bear. I did have some communication with Phil Shoemaker and he thought it'd do the job.

Most of the camps in the thorofare have shotguns for bears. They really aren't for stopping charging bears. And they aren't loaded with buckshot or slugs. Use your imagination for the rest. It of course is something I wouldn't do because it is illegal.

That said when the issue of stopping bears does come up many of the guides and outfitters do say the shotgun with buckshot or slugs would be best. However, almost none of them have ever done it. Most bears that I hear about being killed in defense are done so with a hunting rifle or even handgun.

So when looking for a stopping gun for myself I looked at what the folks who have actually done it carry. How many bear hunting guides in Alaska carry shotguns/handguns as stopping guns?

While I haven't had to shoot one yet, we have several close grizz encounters every year. Most of these the bear is moving slowly checking things out. The day one decides to come too close is when we'll see how well my choice works. In the case of the extremely close range, rapid attack you'd better hope your companion has your back. And that situation may in fact be a good case for a handgun, along with other times when it's all you can really carry. Those close range surprise encounters are also why I like having my blue heeler with me because they don't happen then. She goes hunting with me quite a bit. Here she is on the sheep hunt last year.

[Linked Image]

Sorry for getting so far off track.

Last edited by Ralphie; 10/14/11.