I think the problem with these threads is the bear sprayers and the pistol toters are talking about two different scenarios.
The sprayers are talking about a bear still running at you where most of the toters know the pistol is for muzzle to fur last ditch defence.

At least that's my take on it based on the sprayers most common reasoning against pistol use of not being able to consistently hit the target.

Same applies to those who say use your rifle or shotgun, they're talking about stopping the bear while it's coming at you, which I agree with.

Now no one in their right mind is going to stand and wait till they're being chewed before trying to stop it from happening but once you're on your back under a bear I think most sane people would want something that's going to do damage to the bear.
I also think most pistol toters have enough sense to try to avoid being charged and to try to do something to cause the bear to find easier "prey" or a more comfortable place to be, or to use their rifle if they have time and room to do so.

The original international turd