Originally Posted by Raisuli
Bear spray is marketed as a viable defense for bears. But I am not sold on it because governmental agents prefer shotguns to bear spray.

To my way of looking at bear defense, if the best bear defense is identified, anything else is less than best. I would want to use the best to save the lives of my kids and me.

Bear spray should be used in ideal conditions. If the wind is blowing in the user's face, s/he will become incapacitated by it. I would not want to become incapacitated were a wild animal threatening the lives of my kids and me.

R

There's some good evidence for the efficacy of pepper spray on bears. Gary Shelton's books give some of it.

The advantage of bear spray, IMHO, is its portability. You can carry two cans of spray on your belt more easily than you can a large caliber handgun, and there are a lot of times that a rifle or shotgun needs to be put down for a moment (Ever try to take a dump with a shotgun slung over your shoulder, for example? I have. It can get messy.)

The best bear sprays are very concentrated and shoot a tight stream rather than a spray. You can spray it upwind in even a moderately stiff breeze effectively.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars