I sprayed between 50-60 individuals (I wont count fogging a bar to clear it out smile ) and at least a dozen dogs with OC based sprays (stream, mist, gel and foam) and cannot say it ever worked on those that were actually determined to carry out the fight. Yes, the irritant factor eventually took effect (or the gel/foam actually blocked the eyes) and the eyes were forced closed and breathing was more difficult but that would not have been enough to actually stop a fight in the time needed to stop a charge. Usually the spray was used to convince people that they really did not want to fight or is was simply a distraction for the taser or baton that was to follow. The most effective tool against dogs was a simple CO2 extinguisher, that actually worked 100% of the time on dogs.

I completely understand the physiological aspect of how OC works and how the heat factor is measured and I see nothing to support stopping an animal that has a very limited amount of mucus membrane exposed. In every account of a successful bear defense I have found with OC it seemed to involve a less than determined bear. This mirrors my experience with OC, if someone was not committed to the assault or time/distance allowed avoiding the initial contact it worked fairly well. I have no problem with OC being part of the plan but a big problem if it is the only plan.

I guess I might be more impressed with OC if I saw African guides carrying it for defense against the big cats and buffalo. wink

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper