You mention most higher power variable scopes having some means of correcting parallax. More and more I'm seeing new scopes with higher magnification have "side-focus" vs. the old "adjustable objective" How do these two corrective aids function in a scope, and are they the same thing, but with the adjustment placed in a different spot on the scope? I had my BIL out this weekend to do load development with a new-to-him .243 Win. M70 XTR. He brought along a brand-new Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF and it was the darkest scope I've looked through in years. I made sure the side-focus was "set" at 100 yds, but my older Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44AO is a MUCH brighter scope. Does side-focus influence that in any way, or was this just an example of current production Nikons? I have a current production Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 that is one of the brightest scopes I've looked through...but no parallax adjustment. Is there a relationship?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile