" If we really practice with our hunting rifles (which doesn't mean shooting a bunch of groups from a benchrest), then we should be able to find the chest of a wild boar at 10 yards with a 2.5-10x Zeiss Victory Diavari scope set on 6x, with its over-30-inch field of view � or a mule deer in the 7-foot field of a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-II at 50 yards. Most notions about field of view were formed back in our grandfather's day, when scopes had tiny eyepieces, but modern scopes have far more field. "

I agree 100% with this paragraph and have found it to be very important to those of us who do more walking than stalking, and what I call jump shooting where the game is either pushed or on the move.

I used to shoot at a range with an old ore cart set on a track, with 2 plywood deer set 90 degree's apart. 1st shooter called the deer to advance ( motor and cable driven cart- below shooting height to protect it from damage), and at about 120 yards, when it came from behind a dirt birm one had about 10 seconds to attempt 3 shots at the deer. At the end of the track was another burm and a ramp that flipped the plywood deer holder so the next shooter could send 3 bullets at the second deer. At the end ( or start, as it where)someone like myself used a headphone set to relay hits, both in a grid and a center "kill" circle pattern back to the rangemaster to display to the shooters. Scores varied from a low of 2 points from a hoof to a poor shot, up to a 5x which was the center of the shoulder joint above the heart. Shooting 2x ( and 3 per) , then 2 more runs from opposite direction had 12 shots, 6 right to left, and 6 left to right. after a few years most of my scores were 55 to "one" perfect 60, and I also ended up trying a "skeet shooters " method to making it more difficult, dropping the bolt gun from my shoulder betwen shots.

After many years of shooting running deer on 9x, I was pretty quick in the field to find moving game, good trigger control and seldom hesitation once the choice to send a bullet was determined. I have heard of rolling a tire down a hill with the center filled with paper, which is probably a pretty good replication if the tire stays upright long enough.

Practice, and using one gun, can make shooting much more pleasurable and sucessful.

Allen