Sitka, do you use straight honeycomb wax, or do you have a different type that's already melted into bars, cakes, or such?

I've been as pleased with Sno-Seal for almost 30 years as anything. Any of the oil based stuff softens the leather and depending on the type of oil can rot the thread in the stitching. Most of the wax type stuff works no better than Sno-Seal. Sno Seal leaves something to be desired though. I found in the 70's while climbing Mt Rainer, that Sno-seal would last a day or so in hard climbing in snow. We carried extra to put on the boots at night before the next day's climb. That experience has held true for almost 40 years now. I've had Sno-Seal treated boots for over 20 years, eventually even their leather ended up cracking. Yes, I've tried the wax/pine pitch types too. Worked about the same as Sno Seal for my purposes, usually more expensive.

For "dress' type boots/shoes, paste shoe shine wax only, none of that liquid junk. A good brush, soft cloth, lots of elbow grease, and a nice shine! Boots that last 20yrs too.

Sitka, I'd like to try your method, thanks for posting it. Please post the type/source of your wax, or PM me if you'd rather not put it up on the board. ( I may have access to some beeswax combs)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?