I've lived in the same brand of boots for the last 30 years, and feel a lot of cracking issues are due to leather characteristics rather than treatment. I typically have 3 to 4 pairs of Whites on hand. Some pairs will go through 4 or 5 rebuilds, and others crack and go to hell after their second.

I've had a pair of Sorrel packs for near 20 years and one has cracked while the other boot surface is still intact. It's the bottoms that are near worn out on those.

There are also marked difference in the feel of the leather even within the same brand and model. The durable ones remain soft and pliable, while those prone to cracking simply seem more rigid and unforgiving. All get the same treatment (Sno Seal, neatsfoot oil, and some brown polish now and then).

The odor of most of the high end boot treatments suggest a beeswax base.

I typically treat mine during the season when most of us are not thinking of cold and moisture. Get a good hot 100 degree burner day in July or August, and my boots are placed in the sun for about an hour and then given all the grease and oil I can rub in.

The only boots I've found to be truly forever water proof are made of rubber. Then one gets wet from the inside out. The fabrics are wonderful in that even my waders will remain dry with a full day wading in waist+ deep water. A little wear and dirt though, and they too will begin to leak.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/30/11.

1Minute