Yep, but there is another level of power that clearly is in the "Ruger Only" range but isn't hard on the gun or the shooter, and that is the 300 grain bullet between 1000 and 1100 fps. Or even up to 1200 fps. That's a far cry from the fire breathing 325 gr. 1300 to 1400 fps load that a lot of people think of when they think of "45 Magnum" loads. And then there is the real powerhouse loads developed for 5 shot cylinders only. It's easy to significantly upgrade the 45 Colt without going overboard.

Landrum

Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Will VERY easily do the job. I kill hogs regularly with a SAA loaded with 255 grain hard-cast bullets at 1000 fps.

The same bullet at 200 fps more will do anything you could want and produce less wear and tear on the revolver.....and more importantly....on the shooter. The "full bore" loadings with heavy bullets at "magnum" velosity just aren't nessisary.

Absolutely. I've been through the whole "gotta have a 45 Colt Magnum" phase, and while it was fun while it lasted, I'm much happier totin' and shootin' 255-265 gr bullets at 1000-1100 fps.