Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
It is a titanium nitride coatin. NP3 unless I am mistaken is electroless nickel mixed with Teflon.

From Remington's site;

The Model 700 XCR II� is truly built for extreme conditions with our patented TRINYTE Corrosion Control System. This proprietary process starts with a durable, machined 416 stainless steel barreled action which then undergoes a multi-step coating process, enhancing its corrosion and abrasion resistance to a diamond-like level. A base layer of electroless nickel plating is applied, followed by a satin-finished black PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) layer. Though micro-thin, this protective barrier provides virtual elimination of corrosion and superior abrasion resistance, comparable to the Rockwell Scale rating for diamonds. All exposed metalwork wears the TriNyte finish � barrel, action, bolt, bolt head and trigger.

----------------------------

From reading that I was thinking it was a ENP coating and figured they had sub-contracted Robar to do it? But with you stating it's a titanium nitride coating that has me reconsidering.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...