Originally Posted by yukonal
Soooooooo...no love for the 7MM SAUM... eek

I guess I'll just have to take it upon myself to build one, and make a believer out of yous guys, eh? grin

Let's see...160 AccuBombs, or 168 VLD's at 2,900-3,000, with 60 grains of powder. wink What does Larry The Cable Guy say? grin

...and barrel life to boot.

Al there are LOTS of good cartridges and choosing makes a guys head spin. cry The thing is they all work and a guy can hardly go wrong....I have danced around the cartridge flag pole a LOT over the years,but anymore I can barely keep up with them all, so have really narrowed down lately.I look back and what has seen the most action has been the 270,a magnum 7mm,the 30/06,and a 300 Magnum of some sort.....the 375H&H and today the Ruger are special and stand alone IMHO.

There are what I call the generic 7mm's and these all do 2900-3200 with 140 gr bullets and 2850-3000 with 160's.....but when it comes to moving the heavy 175's over 3000 fps,consistently,at pressure I can live with from a 24" tube,and without a lot of trick moves and from a variety of rifles,the field gets pretty narrow....among them I picked the Mashburn.

I had a hankering to try the Mashburn and it has delivered....heavy or lightweight bullets.Does not matter...they ALL go plenty fast.I like the velocity levels of the cartridge cause I tend to hunt with pretty tough bullets,and the magnums just open them up good at distance.

No doubt that SAUM will have more barrel life but for me, two things in life are expendable.....rifle barrels and bass jigs grin My pal pours the jigs and I always have two spare barrels sitting around home wink....I don't wait for barrels when the time comes to replace them.Both are the cost of doing business. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.