My 70 year old mother, who has a slight touch of arthritis, but is otherwise in fine health, wants my advice on which handgun to purchase. My dad told her she'd be more of a danger to him and herself by wielding a gun, but her mind is made up--she is going to buy a gun to shoot burglars with.

She doesn't want a shotgun. She is not terribly likely to carry concealed (but she already went and got her CPL, just in case), and she will likely practice about once a year or less once the honeymoon with her new gun is over.

I'm thinking a revolver with an exposed hammer in .38 Special. I don't know how she would deal with the "complexity" of an automatic. But, I think she'd be OK with the recoil of a .38--she's a tough chick.

Oh, and she wants one of "those laser pointer thingies--those look like the bees knees."

RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Don't argue about whether she should get a gun. She's getting one--with or without my help.

2. Don't gripe about how much she will/won't practice. I'm being real here. And it won't change anything at her end. She's getting a gun. That's that.

3. Don't argue against lasers. She'd rather die at the hands of a bad guy than not get the laser.

4. Don't argue for a shotgun. It ain't gonna happen. Mom is getting a handgun.

5. Don't mention .22 or .25--she knows those are for people looking to get killed by a ticked off, slightly-wounded burglar. She's positive about that, even though she has no problem with a .32.

6. Don't argue the logic of any of it. smile

So what gun should my mom buy and put in her nightstand?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.