Originally Posted by 243WSSM
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I killed a ground squirrel with my bow a few days back, does that count. grin

Someday I hope to do some varmint shooting like you guys are lucky to be able to do.

It only counts if there's massive carnage.

Three years ago I had found some local places to shoot squirrels on people's property. I had a .17hmr with an 8-32x scope on it. The ones we were shooting were between us and a little pond so our longest shots were 125 yards and shortest at about 60. With the big scope shooting off a rest I was making really neat head shots that were relatively clean compared to the body stomach shots my friend was making a mess with.

I was telling him I wasn't going to pick his up to put them in a bucket anymore, they were too messed up to pick up. He told me to stop being a puzzy and start seeing what massive carnage shots were all about. So okay, I started making stomach shots when I could have just as easily been making neat head shots.

When I hit Oregon sage rats that have been eating wet alfalfa with my cute little .243 WSSM loaded with Varmint Grenades, there wasn't anything to pick up! Never saw such carnage, they literally disappeared into specks of red goo. Rat parts, soil fragments and bullet shrapnel cut a neat tunnel into the standing alfalfa like a tunnel boring machine. Never saw anything like it. Never thought about picking up the dead that don't disappear, as the eagles and hawks do clean up duty.