Thanks JB - never failed to eat when carrying a fixed 4x or 6x, even when using el cheapo 6x40 Bushnell Sportview 'Demo/refurb' that cost me about $20.

Leupold 4x and 6x have NEVER failed for me, nor many other Leupy's - and I agree as others, a fixed vs. a variable is just less likely to fail, proven over decades of use.

As to answer WHY anyone would spend 3500 on a rifle and 200 on their scope?

Maybe simply b/c they work? Never had a Bushnell Elite variable fail...nor Burris...nor Leupold, must not be as hard as others, but I don't use them as hammers like NF does in their demo's at the Shot Show.

No doubt optics are expected to be better, but a $2,000 scope is not 10x better in quality, as a $200 scope, just is not.

I'd rather have a solid 200-400 dollar Leupold, Burris, Conquest, or Bushy Elite and spend my next $1,000 if I wanted, on an Alpha Glass Bino like Leica/Swaro....since I use Bino's for viewing/spotting and scope sights....to plaster crosshairs.

Nothing wrong in spending for the very best/most expensive if it gets the job done and does not sting one's finances. Not all hunters are financially equal when it comes to their wallet thickness.

I can certainly appreciate the finest glass to be had, but they come at a premium often in not only price, but added bulk/weight and that is not always preferable in a rifle's carry weight, bulk, or balance.

Choose what works for you and can afford, many options will work when in the hands of a knowledgable operator.