Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ringworm
Remington and winchester dont use CHF barrels that I am aware of. Maybe on 22's which is how ruger got started using them. The 10-22T madel had Steyr bbl.
Ruger owns thier machine. bought it in '93 I think, used from CZ when they upgraded. It cost ruger something like 9 million.
Think about the difference between a Japanese tanto and a CSA calvary saber. The hammering. the folding. The temering.
You cant take a piece of tubed carbon steel and drag a button thru it and get the same exact dimensions each time like you can hammering steel over a carbide mandrel.

I have been shooting Steyr's , almost exclusivly, since my forst one in 1998. They amazed me and I started learning about the CHF prosses.
Steyr, SAKO, A zoli, Blaser, Tikka, CZ....
When you hear thosenames does inaccurate ever come to mind?
Ruger barrels are very good. very fine examples of CHF and more smooth off the machine than the best handlapped remington.
But their trigger SUCKS. The last ruger I bought, AND I MEAN THE LAST, was a hawkeye SS.
I shot it beside a 1942 bring back, 100% factory configuaration K98 shooting Nazi stamped ammo.
The out shot the ruger by a large margin using iron sights against a burris 3-9 on the ruger.
The problem. The trigger was 75% the weight of the rifle. theres no way to pull 75% of the rifles weight in the trigger without disturbing sight picture.

here is the article the came out in PR mag...
Precision Shooting Magazine November 2005

Sorry to hear you had problems with your "last" Ruger due to a bad trigger (on a Hawkeye with the LC6 nonetheless).....but the trigger is one of the easiest things to fix on these rifles....Too bad they couldn't go back to the oldstyle adjustable trigger the M77R (tang safety) model had......My hawkeye 308 has a pretty sweet trigger after just replacing the spring and polishing the sear (I don't mean hone or file either, just polish)......Now the M77 MKII's had the worst triggers I've ever seen, you had to either hone to reduce sear engagement, change an angle or 2, polish, and change the spring or replace the whole unit to end up with a nice trigger..what a PITA they are......One thing about a Ruger M77 rifle though, is once you bed them, and refine the trigger they usually end up good shooters. My most recent cheap rifle find was an old tang safety model 77 (300 win mag) that I had cerekoted last week since I knew it was a good shooter (even though they are known to be inacurate sob's). I threw the scope back on the rifle (since I had the rings cerekoted too) and proceeded to check where the POI was so I could adjust the scope. With my last 5 cartridges I had loaded up from the last outing I let them fly and this is how the old girl did (180gr. winchester powerpoint load):

[Linked Image]

This is it after cerekoting:
[Linked Image]

The rifle is bedded with factory pressure point left in, trigger is great and action is slick as my winchester model 70's....Going back to the 308 Hawkeye like the OP first posted, mine shoots just as good as my 300 win mag tang safety shown above......maybe even a tad better grin

You still missing the orange dot mate!!!!

gus

Hey ol buddy. Yep, that's where it shot after I threw the scope back in the rings after the rifle and rings were cerekoted.....I'll try to tear up some orange for you this weekend at the rimfire competition I'm going to....wish me luck.... wink

Mate it looks great....... I still have my Hawkeye with the Hogue stock - is a tad heavy but shoots great out of the truck over a rest.

Gus