Along with a lack of personal experience, I think being full of BS may be at the root of his feelings about the .257.

1) As far as I know, the only factory .257 with a 26" barrel has been the Ruger No. 1B--which is indeed way too heavy. All the Remington factory rifles and Winchester Model 70 sporter had 24" barrels. As for the Remington 722 being too heavy, mine weighs an ounce over 8 pounds with a 6x36 Leupold, and had been carried many miles by my wife Eileen.

2) The .257 is far from dead. More than one company produces at least a limited run now and then to satisfy demand. This is very common these days, with CNC machinery. (In fact, it's done with the .358.) And some companies chamber the .257 as one of their "regular" cartridges in some models, including Ruger and Kimber.

3) All of today's factory rounds for the .257 aren't underloaded--except for the original 117 round-nose Core-Lokt from Remington. The others all use spitzer bullets at +P velocities, even if they don't call them +P. Ammo factorfies wouldn't do that if the .257 was dead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck