Originally Posted by Savage_99
While Ned Roberts was a fine Schuetzen rifleman and a good chuck hunter as well I have no interest in .25" rifles for hunting.

The bullets are too big and heavy to be ricochet resistant and too small to shoot big game with. It's just stunt shooting to shoot big game with small bullets.

Thus the .257 Roberts died out when riflemen discovered that it was best at nothing.

A buddy from long ago had a 722 chambered for the little .257R. He was poor and that cheap rifle was all he could afford. He was up at the camp in VT and hunting with us and some hunter walks by him in the woods and asks what he is shooting. When the hunter hears its a .257 he goes into why the 30-06 is superior in every way.

The expert finally leaves and a buck walks by my old buddy and he shoots it with the .257R.

The buck falls dead and the expert comes back down the hill to see what happened. My buddy begins to dress out the buck and the guts spill out and the expert throws up! grin

Evidently you never read the Layne Simpson article about an East coast outfitter who kept detailed records on all his kills and those of his clients on whitetail deer. IIRC it covered around 400 kills, which probably isn't a large enough cohort for statistical relevance, but not a bad thesis.

From that study, the most effective rounds were .25 cal., based on kills and yardage traveled after the hit. And the .25R was one of the most common .25's in that study.

I sometimes think you're just shooting from the hip to get a rise out of everybody. If that's your game, then you're just a troll. If you're asking honest questions, then you need to drop back and regroup.

DF