280 Rem,

"Grasshopper" - You ask a difficult question that only you know the true answer.

If you have an action that you like whether it be a Rem, Win, Mauser or whatever, each can be made into a great, accurate rifle. Many folks will look for a donor action on some beat up rifle (the action will be reblued anyway), for $200-250. Then you must get a quality barrel, again if you stay with the quality names (Lilja, Hart, Shilen, etc) and you have a gunsmith who has a reputation for building accurate rifles your chances of having an accurate rifle are enhanced. barrel installed on your action $500. $100 rebuled, I personally like matte finish and with some smiths it can be a lttle less cost because they don't have to spend hours polishing out low spots.

Stocking the rifle is a personal thing again. On my favorite rifle, I did the stock work myself and it fits me great. So I bought a $100 semi-drop in from Richards microfit and did the rest myself. Or else you can go nuts and have a fine stock maker build a stock for you where you can spend a lot more. So much is what you are after and how much is it worth to you.
[Linked Image]
This is a picture of my 35 Whelen. It was built in 1988 and it has become my go to rifle even though I have many in the cabinet.

Its built on a 1903 Springfield action, with a Shilen barrel cut to 22". Its not the prettiest rifle in the world but I have tone of confidence in it and someday I may even get it checkered. But it is my example of a custom all-around rifle.

Good Luck,
BigBullet

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/