280, I started getting custom rifles built over 25 years ago, when I was just out of college and could barely afford to feed myself, let alone buy rifles. But I did it anyway!

Today, all I hunting with are custom rifles, but I gave up on wood a long time ago. A good synthetic stock out-performs wood in every way if your objective is to build a high-performance hunting rifle that you'll really use.

As to caliber, stick with standard factory chamberings. You'll find that the 30-06 is very tough to beat for all-around use, and it's an easy cartridge to shoot, plus it's good for everything from deer to moose.

And keep everything simple, but solid and of the highest quality. Either a Model 700 or Model 70 forms an ideal foundation, to which add a pillar-bedded McMillan stock and any good custom barrel such as Hart, Kreiger, Lilja, Pac-Nor, etc. Stay way from muzzle breaks, "tactical" stocks, 50mm scopes, and barrels longer than 24", as well as triggers that are lighter than 2.5 lbs.

Lots of guys only understand a cluster of holes on a piece of paper off the bench, but feeding and function, plus soild handing qualities, balance, and durability are just as important, and I've see a number of custom rifles that produced tight groups but didn't feed properly, etc. I call such rifles "accurate junk", and believe me, if a rifle doesn't feed right, it IS junk.

Never do business with a riflemaker who won't shoot, break-in the barrel, and prove his product in terms of accuracy, as well as feeding and function before he sends it out to you. If all he's trying to do is throw a rifle together to get it out the door ASAP, forget him.

AD

Are you the same AD that post on www.accuratereloading.com that talks about his custom D'Echol rifles.

USMC
Life Member VFW