From what you asked here's what I would do, many might not agree, but hey it's just another thought:

1. Buy a commercial Mauser action: FN, MarkX, Santa Barbara with the bolt face that will fit the cartridge you decide on. IMHO a 30-06 would do just fine-price about $200 to $250. I would opt for the Mark X as the magazine length is closer to 3.400", Santa Barbara are shorter and won't allow much room to increase the OAL (if you reload that is).

2. I have had a couple of ER Shaw barrels and they have shot very well, many will scream that they are not worth a hoot, but they have an accuracy guarantee and will replace it if you are not satisfied. If you do that route, go with a 1, 1.5 or 2 contour. The commercial action is rather "heavy" compared to a Remmy-more like a Winchester. Barreled, bead blasted and blued runs about $285.00-chromemoly version.

3. Scrap the factory trigger and add a Timney. Price about $45.00

4. Add a three position safety, you can either have ER Shaw fit it or have another smith do it, should be about $50 to fit, safety is obviously more. Check Brownells. I bought a NECG and it is very nice, although expensive. You also might consider an Ed Lapour 3 position don't know the price but the safety will probably run from $150 to $185.

5. I would go with a Bansner. They are light and strong. If you are able to work on the stock yourself, you can sand out the mold lines, cut the stock and glue on a Decelerator to the desired LOP. Then bed the barreled action. The stock can be had for about $160 if you have a smith order it and sell it at cost.

6. Have Rick Bin paint it. About $100.

7. Talley LW rings. Cost (I think about $40.00)

Total cost I estimate would be $1100 to $1200 if you add the three position. If you don't you could probably get it under $1000 with some thoughtful shopping around.

The rifle should weigh about 8lbs depending on scope and barrel contour. I've done a couple like this. I've attached a pic of a standard Santa Barbara that I stocked and painted for a buddy with a Bansner. Weighs 8lbz 1oz as is with a 2x7 Redfield:

[Linked Image]