280REM I have done it three ways, 1. My Bestest Buddy Gunsmith (really is the Best Friend I have on the Planet) Made me a 7mm Remington Mag on a PFR Model 70 Long Action, 28" Shilen Select Match Barrel, McMillian Stock, 3x9 Swarovski ended up costing, $1024 + Scope=$1750+600 cost of Donor Rifle, this rifle shoots 150 Ballistic Tips Sub-MOA, but is a 1 MOA rifle with other bullets 2. VZ24 Mauser 25-06, MidwayUSA A&B Barrel, Reamer, Gauges, Bold Optima Trigger, Hogue Stock. I did the work, the barrel was prechambered, so all I had to do was worry the Chamber a little deeper to regulate the correct headspace, I drilled and tapped the action for a scope. The VZ 24 was $60.00, Reamer=$80.00, Gauges=$45, Trigger=$35, Stock=$80. I did all the work from the bolt rework to reworking the triggerguard and bottom metal, It has been cold blued. the rifle is a Sub-MOA rifle with any load I have tried, but it really likes 120 Sierra HPBT Gamekings. I'm into the rifle about $325 total + my time 3. 30-338 Win Mag. 1999 Montana Rifleman Action $425.00, McMillian Stock=$350(Internet Special at their website), Pac-Nor 30" Super Match 5-1/2 Contour Barrel=$245, Robar,Inc. Visit for NP-3 Coating and Barrel Engraving of Caliber and Moniker "Big Juan"=$325, 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest SF=$669. Again I did all the fitup and chambering, bedding the stock. The rifle is magic, Sub-MOA on any load so far. Total into the rifle is $2014+ my time (as a side note 30" barrel was used to get the most out of the cartridge without hot rod loading, but it is really a PIA to carry very far, very muzzle heavy, but Gosh does it Shoot). I used this rifle on a Cow Elk Hunt in New Mexico last year, a very marked reaction to the bullet strike, 1/2 step forward, 2 two steps falling sideways, TUE=tits up Elk. For what its worth like stated earlier, you really want a Gunsmith close enough you can actually visit the shop, check progress, ask the hard questions and have trust in. A very hard combination to find in some areas. A man can't go wrong choosing the 30-06, it just gets'er done. The 270 is a good choice also, it really performs on anything I tried it on (8 Elk and a Buttload of Antelope and Deer). You may want to consider the 338-06, seems like a real performer without the recoil. I used one on a feral pig hunt, it was used to take one hog and a Corsican Ram, both about a 100 yards, Nosler 210 Partition @ 2650. The hog was a Bangflop, the Ram went about 30 yds before expiring. Good Luck, a Custom Rifle is always fun to do, they become an extension of yourself once you become familiar with them, kind of like you were born with it. Chet

"What You Lack in Mass Must be Compensated with Velocity" The Size of the Hole is Irrelevant if not Placed Correctly