Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

SCOTUS does not make new laws just knocks them down.

They make law (not prescribed by the Constitution), every time the Congress doesn't...

Does Roe v. Wade ring any bells?

Also, "Once and for all" and a Court ruling just don't belong in the same sentence....

Well Roe v Wade was not a law but a decision that states could not ban abortion, in other words Roe v Wade knocked down laws banning abortion. Kind of the same type of thing only we want the states and Feds to stop making laws that ban guns or otherwise restrict our rights under the 2nd.

Don�t see any states banning abortions. That is a good example of �once and for all�. Personally I am not a big fan of abortion but Roe v Wade it is a good example of how SCOTUS works in our government.

Originally Posted by GSP814
Re: Kagen, just look how she voted in Heller and McDonald and that will give you an idea on what she thinks!

Kagen was not on the court for either of those decisions. She replaced Stevens and while I have absolutely no faith she would rule with the conservatives it is at least interesting she would go hunting here in Wyoming with Scalia. Stevens was vehemently anti gun and wrote the dissenting opinions in both the Heller and McDonald cases.

We are better off with Stevens gone.

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Kagan wasn't on the Supreme Court for Heller. MacDonald is a Circuit Court case she couldn't vote on.

I think he is referring to the 2010 McDonald v Chicago case.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/02/13.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.