Been self employed 35 yrs.

All business basically operates the same. You could sell insurance or fix cars like me. Doesn't really mean a helluva lot.

My advice is to always be upfront & honest with all you clients.

Always be nice, no matter how difficult this can & will be many times. People always remember a "decent nice guy" over and above the quality of your work, unless your work stinks. grin

These are 2 of the most important hints I can ever give anyone. It took me a couple years to learn how successful business operation & your perceived attitude towards your customers has a direct correlation.

Naturally being very good at your task, prudent operations ie; cost control, decision making, etc., and professional mannerisms are all important. Those qualities are all just a "given" imho if you are serious about owning your own business.

Also, a good business education background also makes it a lot easier right from the gitgo.

BTW...
Never gave too much thought to advertising. I'm not saying it can not be successful, just that I personally always relied upon word of mouth & recommendations. Works for me. wink

-Ken