Kelley,
Yeah, the worst for us was a couple of days after LZ X-Ray a few miles away at LZ Albany where we had "T-boned" into a full NVA Batallion right at dusk. Encircled & cut into many small groups, it was a bad night- I didn't get in until the next morning- the VC did some grusome stuff during the night.
A couple of months later we found an estimated 2500 VC bodies a couple miles across the border- even though we got them nearly 10 to 1- it wasn't enough..
Dan, I was a Pathfinder for the 227th- Have a good friend that was in 2nd of the 8th in the A-Shau. Once I got shot down in a UH1B at the end of the first Bong Son (Col. Moore was in that one too)& crashed into the river just off the bank- we all got out before it sank. had 2 M-16s with 3 mags each & one M-60 w/ one belt + the pilot's .38s- looked for awhile like it was going to be "Custer's Last Stand" again!
Dan, you need to get hold of one of these Sharps rifles & do some target shooting with us. AND, the targets are not shooting back at you!! You could work up a load by the "Quigley" (June 17-18)- why not? life's too short! ...Dennis

"First in, last out!"