Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by drover

I can't believe that after 7 pages no one has mentioned that the near-perfect whitetail rifle already exists in the millions - Winchester 94 Carbine in 30-30.
drover

Yeah, the 30-30 is so perfect, I have NOT had one since 1975.

Humm, haven't missed it either. Anything a 30-30 can kill, can be killed by any number of 'longer' ranged rifles.

There are ALOT of things that ARE killed WAY out of the RANGE of any 30-30.

DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND, I will not limit myself with a short range rifle --any cal/cart.

Precisely. A .30-30 is virtually worthless in this day-and-age of limited opportunity and the procurement of educated (mature) animals, at least on the Western Front (aka; western hemisphere).

Guess I should have clarified. For me the perfect whitetail rig would be the 94 carbine in 30-30.

Reason - where I reside the only whitetails are in the river bottoms among the trees if a shot is available rarely will it be more than a 50 yd. shot, much less a 100 yd. shot. No beanfields or open country where I hunt. I can operate a lever rifle much faster than a bolt action should a 2nd shot be needed and the quick-handling qualities of a 94 carbine are hard to beat.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.