As for what works, I commute mostly on a Diamondback Ascent mountain bike (1991 vintage, bought when I was stationed at Lejune) converted to a single-speed.

On account of it has a back brake I'm guessing it has a freewheel. Some folks swear by single speeds with no freewheel (ie. the pedals are turning as long as the back wheel is turning). Might be true I guess, and no problem unless your feet ever come off of the pedals at speed, or your finger never gets caught between chain and sprocket while spinning the back wheel (I've seen the pics eek)

Couldn't run slicks myself on account of there's times when I need to ride off of the edge of the road to avoid traffic. Likewise, ice and snow ain't ever a problem down here. I use saddlebags (panniers) hung off of a Blackburne rack. Down here a backpack makes you sweat to much

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744