Originally Posted by Jamison
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I just ran through the RPO's on a used truck I picked up and it shows it has the eaton G80 locking rear differential. Anyone out there have/had one and knows the positives or negatives?

It'll probably last if you just occasionally go off-road or
1) don't pull anything or if you
2) don't run an oversized tire...

Bull Elk mentions G80 option on his truck, doesn't say anything about which truck. And you come on with this bullsh#t. G80 is the GM designation for limited slip or traction control or whatever you care to call it. In anything from Camaro or Caprice to S-10's to 1 ton HD pickups. Neither GM nor Eaton have ever called anything "gov-lok", even the particular trouble prone unit you're talking about. Along with Auburn, Eaton makes lots of different units and one is a really good limited slip differential. The G80 option 14 bolt is very strong.

1) The G80 option not strong enough to tow? Are you friggin' crazy? Again, complete nonsense. The GM diesel trucks are madefor towing, the G80 option is basically standard on them. They're very strong. Hammer these things on the dragstrip with slicks, they don't break. Guys sledpull with them. And I couldn't even tell about all the people - just the ones I know personally - who regularly work the crap out of their trucks towing way over GM max spec.

2) The G80 won't hold up to oversize tires? That's a real dumb one. Just as many GM diesels out there with oversize tires as not. And lots of tow rigs have oversize tires.

You should just keep quiet about this stuff. It doesn't make you look like an authority, makes you look like a dope.