Jamison you're absolutely right. The G80 is that eaton nonslip. You'd been going on about how bad they are, but since the 11.5" unit holds up really well I thought it must be some other Eaton, maybe a true track. But they're all that same basic Eaton unit in 4 or 5 different sizes for different sized gears.

Like shooting forums, lots of people go onto several of the different diesel forums. Diesel forum guys are into modifications and performance and very often push the limits. And like with other forums, when something breaks or doesn't work right it's often because that thing is a pos. And they tell everyone. There's hardly ever "the rest of the story".......how much hp, no traction bars(?), what caused/preceded the failure - huge abuse, maybe they'd been fooling with it, wrong lube, no lube, what previous owner did? or who knows what. The Dmax forum you mention has 527 members and several postings about G80 failures. And whenever you see a posting like that on any forum there're also a whole bunch more people talking about no problems and how much they like it. You probably didn't see those.....or the guy who said he was wanting a G80 for his Dodge "because the Torsen unit keeps crapping out."

I'm surprised there aren't a whole lot more with problems. Consider there are more than 1.5Million G80's out there behind Dmax's alone. Add non-diesel trucks and SUV's and all the other applications over the last few decades and that's a huge number of G80's. Majority of truck and suv owners don't go on forums and they leave things stock. They just buy 'em and use 'em. Like a friend in Texas....been using DMax's since '01 for towing a cattle trailer - 19,000 lbs loaded - about 50k miles/yr all over Texas in a lot of 100+ degree weather. No broken differentials. Here in mountain snow country my dealer sells very few cars, mostly trucks and suv's. Each is G80 equipped. The service dept fixes "maybe" one per year. The parts manager said about 10 to the service dept in his 15yrs there. Very few problems.

If mine ever goes it won't be because it's crap. It'll be because I've enjoyed running it for years with 3-4X factory power at the wheels.

Last edited by Ackman; 11/11/13.