Believe it or not, I own one, too. Had one in the truck before my wife's current Suburban. Had one in the Suburban before that... None of them completely crapped out yet, so I am not an internet commando talking about something I don't own. Had one issue with the first Suburban, it would lock up in a turn occasionally and sound like it was coming apart at the seams...
I know there are LOTS of them out there, and like the Walker trigger in a Remington 700, not all of them are bad. BUT, just like the Walker trigger, there is a basic flaw in the design. There has to be a 100 rpm difference in the two wheels before it locks.
When you spool up a 38"+ tire in the air or dirt and then catch it on a rock or hard ground, the casing of the locker is weak enough that that centrifugal force CAN cause it to grenade. They are amazingly sturdy when you are on flat ground (asphalt) on a track or street and both wheels have a good bit of traction, whether racing or towing, and you don't violently start or stop one tire while the other one is moving fast.
Its a well known fact that the guys like me on the rocks will find a weak point if there is one. That is why I directed the OP to a real offroad site like Pirate4x4 to do some research. His only question was about the positives and negatives-- You gave him the positives, I gave some negatives. Neither of us know what his intended use for the truck is, so he will have to decipher the facts and decide for himself...