Originally Posted by excaliber
We all want faster cartridges but at what point is barrel life a concern? The 6.5x284 is one of the most accurate cartridges of all time. It has roughly 1000rd barrel life, that is 1/2 moa life. Once accuracy gets worse than that, it`s time for me to change barrel. Since the 6.5 SAUM uses more powder, I assume barrel life will be around roughly 800rds at 1/2moa. I know that some barrels last longer than others but you get the idea. If barrel life isn`t a concern, then why not just neck down the 338 Norma and be done with it? With todays high BC 7mm bullets, 180gr & (195gr hopefully soon) from Berger, why even use the 6.5? Seems like people want the newest cartridge (wildcat) but in reality is it going to beat what is already out there?

George Garder replies

"6.5x284 to get 2950 out of the 140 is running in the 68,000 PSI range

6.5 SAUM is getting 3100 with the same bullet at 55,000 PSI

There is your difference.

Yes you can Hot Rod it and wear it out fast, thats not the point of the caliber. The whole premise of this was 4 things

1. to Humanly kill [bleep] to 1200 yards.

2. barrel life of 2500

3. low recoil

4. serious accuracy

It does all 4 better than anything else. There are cartridges that do one or 2 better but not all 4."

Above is a reply from George Gardner to Excaliber I found on Sniper's hide that sums up the concept of the 6.5 SAUM and gives a pressure value.

Sorry Sam I have no idea what kind of pressure a .270 WSM would have with 2 more grains of powder. I just remembered that George had given an indication of the pressure he was getting with the 6.5.

Russ

Last edited by crazyhorse; 12/30/13. Reason: Clarification