Like others said, you are seeing the difference between fast small bullets and slow big bullets, except usually the big slow ones leave a big blood trail. I hunted for years and killed many deer with a 270 with 130's and never had to track one. Maybe 19 of 20 died in my sight.

When I started hunting with bigger calibers I had to start tracking. Most of those were with a 35 Whelen and a 458 Win Mag. Almost everything I shot with the Whelen and 200's and 250's, and 400's in the .458 ran 50 to 100 yards. This was mostly when I shot the deer through the ribs and didn't hit shoulder or spine. If I hit bigger bones, they dropped. The longest I have had any deer run, including 15+ archery kills, was a big doe double lunged with a 400g Barnes original.

I found 180's in the Whelen and 300's in the 458 acted more like the fast light bullets I started with in the 270.

As a sample of one, my wife killed her deer with a 44 mag and 225g FTX this year. She hit it in the neck, head on. The bullet came very close to the spine, hit lung and liver, and stopped in the full stomach. The deer dropped, probably because it was so close to the spine. I was impressed by how much quieter the 44 was than out high power rifles. My wife is still on cloud 9 about her big buck, her first buck and only second deer.

Jason