Originally Posted by Carson
Never shot a hog with a rifle, just revolvers, 45 Colt 255 grain hard cast, sick with double shoulder shot, second double lung shot after spinning around, dead in tracks. Second one with Winchester factory "deer" 240 grain JHP, 8 shots, no full penetrations, except first shot in leg joint. First in the brush running shot, should have held my fire. All my deer with 175 grain, 200 grain and 210 grain dead right there, in .41 Mag, .44 Mag. One went 25 yards with 185 grain Golden Saber .45 ACP+p. Several with 200 grain JHP and 230 grain JHP at 950 fps +/-. I like 210 grain Remington SJHP at 1300 fps or so, from .44 Mag. If they were avialable for handloading, I'd try Winchester 210 grain Silvertips. Type of bullet is more critical than weight, despite my prejudices, self-defense bullets frequently "fail" with no significant exit wounds, but kill effectively with lung shots. Harder bullets shock less, but give full penetration, in my experience. The 300 grain XTP, non-magnum in .45 Colt at 1150 fps from a 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk mountain lion or 280 grain cast from Ruger Blackhawk on elk cow work at 1050 fps. .44 Special, 240 grain SWC at 1150 fps on water buffalo cow, two shots, ran 100 yards. Should have aimed for near shoulder instead of just behind it. The second shot penetrated the far shoulder except for the skin. Pick your bullets, pick you shots, try for the perfect first shot, but keep shooting if needed.

Man you need a little more study!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee