Probably another example of choosing the wrong bullet. I kill elk with a 44 mag carbine ,240 gr Speer semi jacketed flat point. I can't imagine it not being sufficient for any deer at appropriate ranges.

As for not DRT kills, animals will run as long as their brain has blood or you take out the running gear including the spinal shots.
90 yard is easily done by a deer lung shot, even with one shoulder broken. Even a higher lung shot, the chest cavity has to fill with blood until it reaches the hole to give a blood trail or at times hide,fat,tissue cover the hole when the animal moves or runs, so no blood can escape.

In most instances, unless a fast explosive bullet is used, one will not see any blood for the1st 10-20 yards after a deer is hit and runs.

Gauging a bullets effectiveness by the amount of blood trail or how far the animal runs shows inexperience.

Usually those factors are due to shot placement rather than the effectiveness of the bullet.

The last bit of advice I would heed would be from someone who has no knowledge and has not hunted and killed with a 44 mag

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles