After years of chasing big bores, I'm going the other direction this year. I came to realize that I am woefully under stocked with varmint rifles. I recently was able to procure three left handed Charles Daly actions still in the white. Two of them are going to Pacnor next week for barreling. One will be a 17 Remington which will reside in a nice walnut stock, one I just picked up from Walnut Grove Gunstocks. The other will be a 6mmx222 with a #1 contour barrel and a 1/12 twist and will go to MPI for one of their stocks.

The two rifles will make up my primary fur calling rifles. I opted for the 6mmx222 over the 6x45 because the Daly action is pretty short and the 6x45 would require the bullets, especially anything 85 grains and heavier to be seated very deep in the case. The 222 case is a much better fit for the action.

If time and money allow, the third action will become a short little mannlicher stocked 222. Kind of a walking varminter. If I can find a good deal on a right handed Zastava mini or a Charles Daly right handed action, I'll build a similar rifle in 221 Fireball for my wife.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.