I emailed this to my MP's office and followed up with a letter.

So you understand, it's not the type of correspondence that recipients like. It's a negative evaluation, and therefore will be taken as a personal attack, but I'm not after anything.

My MP is a woman and a doctor. I am hopeful that she cares enough to do some personal introspection. Frankly however, she's a politician, so it's unlikely that she has a heart. I expect that despite saying I do not want a response, something will be written on her behalf, and Kellie will sign it.

She has been to my house. I met her before she became an MP. I wonder, is there a spark of decency inside? I sure hope so.

You might consider doing the same with your own MP.
---

3 Feb 2014

Dear Dr. Leitch,

I wrote once before, shortly after you were elected. It was about military pensions; specifically, the need for veterans to retain the bridge benefit at age 65. I watched live as you voted with the rest of the party and dashed that hope. I believed that as a doctor, you understood that a proper diet and access to medicine were vital to guard the body against disease. I thought, naively perhaps, that you genuinely cared about the health concerns of our aging population. Many of us believed that right would win the day. It didn't.

Since, I have seen trouble in the Senate, spending irregularities, a lack of public transparency, and unusual election procedures. Mr. Harper, and the Conservative party generally, are having serious image problems. Perhaps no one is too concerned yet, given that we are not facing an election. I can tell you however that I am concerned, as are others in the riding and across Canada.

Now I see that Mr. Fantino, Ms. Gallant and several others are badmouthing veterans, many of whom are older, but all, regardless of age, deserving of respect. The perception is that you want the vets to do as they are told, shut up and suffer in silence. The lack of concern about military suicides is yet another disappointment Canadians face from their elected government. When did the wheels fall off the cart?

Having spent most of my adult life in the military, I understand that it is rare for MPs or public officials to pay those in uniform the slightest bit of attention - unless it gets them favourable press. As someone with conservative values, it is hard for me to write this, but the time has come to re-evaluate what the CPC is. I must ask myself, should I continue to support an organization which has strayed so far from its roots? It's a party that has changed for the worse, and does not care about people anymore. As a member of the CPC, I feel that I had a hand in this, and I'm ashamed.

The party continues to embarrass itself publicly. The truth - whether real or imagined - is that the CPC has succumbed to the money and benefits of public office. The Prime Minister has a smothering grip on all of you. Although I realize this isn't the Reform party of old, most of the direction has been lost. Sadly, many of us now realize that the party no longer respects the values they originally held high, or the people that elected them to Parliament.

You should consider some self reflection as well.

I do not want a written or phone response to this letter. I'm afraid that I would not believe most of it anyway.

Nonetheless, I wish you well. It would be nice to think that politicians would take a pledge similar to the Hippocratic Oath. The first line should read, "Do no harm." I hope that you can examine your conscience and be comfortable with the conclusion.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]