I agree down for me works most of the time. However, when I can afford to haul the extra bulk/eight of a synthetic I do.

2012 on my second of a back to back mountain goat hunt, my down bag started losing loft rather rapidily over two nights as it was typical Kodiak 40 degrees, 100% humidity and raining. I was in a floorless shelter and found myself thankful we had tagged out the last day and were coming off the mountain as the bag had half the loft of its formal self. Were wasn't much to burn up in the alpine so having a stove wouldn't have helped.

For me there is a time and place for both. But I'm flying out on a goat hunt here in 2 weeks down your way and I'm bringing the wiggy's to leave at base camp where the plane is dropping us off and down up the hill.

Its the wet temps in the 30s and 40s that make me want synthetic bags and with no option for back up or hike out like on a fly out hunt.

Of course the guys on Everest are taking down, its NOT a wet environment. That analogy is pretty ridiculous. One of my hiking partners has been to the summit the highest peak on all 7 continents and used down for all his climbs, yet he still brings a synthetic bag when he feels its justified.

BTW Patrick if you'll be around when I fly in from the field I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee and swap stories with ya. Still follow your family's blog! Good stuff sir!