Originally Posted by Brad

This stuff just isn't that hard, but I believe so many people repeat so many things they have little or no experience with that it becomes some sort of gospel. I especially notice that here.

Not basing it off of anything I've read, I never really had a problem with down before that exceptionally wet trip on Kodiak that everything including my clothing and myself was saturated in water. Climbing in with damp base layers in to a WM bag that was moisture on the shell of the bag due to the single wall tent meant the down was getting the moisture from both ends.

Yep probably should have hauled a double wall tent up the hill instead. But really at that point is a double wall tent with a down bag lighter than a single wall floorless with a synthetic bag. Lots of ways to skin a cat for sure. So long as you found what works for you based off of experience then thats all that really matters. I certainly believe you when you say you've never had a problem with down, but that hasn't been my experience, yes just that one time, but still happened. I know I'm certainly not as an experienced backpacker as you Brad and still have a lot to learn, but this is simply based on an observation while I was in the field. You have a different experience and that is totally cool.

I think we could both care less which type of bag either of us uses. laugh