Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by snubbie

Those guys who have experience in extreme conditions need to chime in.

I have some limited experience in extremes but recent experience at the forum makes me prefer to pass on chiming in on anything.
whistle frown grin

One of the graces of backpacking is the individual nature of it, with each person using gear of his choice. The corollary of giving total freedom to anyone else to use whatever gear they choose has been a hallmark of this excellent forum. We learn from what others say they do...

And there is the great loss. I have a difficult time wrapping my head around grown men who will degenerate a discussion into nothing more than slinging profanity at each other over whether down or synthetic is best, reminds me of parents getting in fistfights over children's T-ball games.
It's just sad.

And it is a loss to those of us who DO come here to draw on the experience of others and share our experiences and preferences. One person carries and axe because, well, because he admires and enjoys the workmanship of fine Swedish tools and enjoys using them on his backpacking outings...only to be chewed up for being a fool for carrying such crap and called everything stupid and fake to a wannabe and have his character assaulted.

So screw 'em. Tell me about bivy bags. smile

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com